IKM Advocates has experienced tremendous growth in the last couple of years, rising to become one of the elite firms in the Kenyan Market. The firm’s Projects & Infrastructure and Banking & Finance Practices recently received recognition from the exclusive Legal 500 Directory as tier one practices on account of their involvement in mega deals including the following:
- Advising on the procurement of critical medical equipment for 98 public hospitals across Kenya using a Managed Equipment Services (MES) arrangement in respect of which IKM and DLA Piper UK LLP scooped an award for "Transportation and Infrastructure Team of the Year" at the 2016 African Legal Awards;
- Advising the senior lenders on the 981.75 MW Coal Fired Power Plant in Lamu County, Kenya, which is one of the largest power projects by an independent power producer in the region;
- Advising on the proposed Second Nyali Bridge Public Private Partnership (PPP) project in Mombasa County – being one of the first of several infrastructure projects proposed to be implemented under a PPP arrangement;
- Acting as Kenyan counsel for an international lender in connection with a line of credit facility to a Kenyan bank in the sum of One Hundred and Forty Eight Million United States Dollars (US$148,000,000);
- Acting for lenders in a Syndicated Facility Agreement extending USD 600 Million Loan;
- Acting for a power company in its financing from DFIs for the implementation of four (4) hydro-power projects.
IKM’s other service offerings of corporate, commercial, Employment and Real Estate were also highly ranked in the 2017 Legal 500 edition and by other leading directories such as Chambers and Partners and IFLR in their 2017 listings.
The firm’s vibrant Projects and Infrastructure practice has acted for clients across the entire value chain of projects, including public sector entities, developers, commercial lenders and development finance institutions, contractors, operators and equipment suppliers and is highly commended for being able to understand the issues on both sides of the negotiating table.
IKM’s Banking & Finance practice has vast experience and industry insight in the specialist areas of banking and finance. The practice is recognized for its strength in managing complex financing transactions, is on the legal panel of over 16 banks within Kenya and acts for international banks particularly with respect to syndicated loan and project finance transactions.
IKM’s Banking & Finance practice is recognized by Legal 500 as ‘one of the premier law firms in the area of banking, finance and capital markets’, successfully leveraging its membership of DLA Piper Africa to advise on several marquee deals, including project finance transactions. It is ‘top tier for complex matters’, with its ‘partners being accessible and a pleasure to deal with’.
James Kamau, IKM’s Managing Partner, is notably recognized by Legal 500 as ‘the firm’s ‘key rainmaker’, ‘inspiring confidence’ through his ‘depth of understanding of client needs and his ability to bring resources to bear’. Anne Kinyanjui is recognized as an ‘Amazing lawyer’ that shows ‘technical expertise, attention to detail and commitment’. Legal 500 2017 also notes that the projects teamheaded by James Kamau and Beatrice Nyabira is praised for its ‘attention to detail, turnaround times, extensive and conclusive feedback to lenders’, as well as the ‘quality of work and commitment to clients’.
IKM’s Market Recognition was also featured in the Business Daily and can be accessed here.