Change is constant in the Aviation sector as regulation continues to evolve and grow.
No substitute exists for inside knowledge of the dynamics and economic realities of the business. IKM has been closely involved with many of the significant issues that the industry has faced in the last 20 years, and we fully understand the challenges going forward.
We have an international team of specialists who handle regulatory issues and provide airlines, aviation service providers and manufacturers, corporates, trade associations and governments with strategic, practical and commercial advice. IKM has significant regulatory, trade policy, government and political affairs capacity across its global DLA Piper member network.
The practice areas of IKM that feature in this sector are:
- Bank Securities and Finance
- Capital Markets
- Commercial and Corporate law
- Competition and Monopolies law
- Dispute Resolution
- Employment and Immigration
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised Kenya Airports Authority (KAA) in a constitutional reference following the refusal by the KAA to approve a proposed development on the Petitioner’s property.
- Advised the national operator in a VAT dispute relating to Central Reservation Systems. We reviewed the revenue authority’s demand and assisting the national airline operator in filing appeal papers at the VAT tribunal.
- Advised the Kenya Airports Authority regarding a tax assessment in excess of KShs2.3 billion (US$28,75 million) issued by the Kenya Revenue Authority.
- Advised Kenya Airports Authority in an arbitration dispute in which the Claimant was pursuing compensation following the revocation of a development approval.
- Advised on and prepared applications for commercial air service licences in Kenya. We also attended public hearings for and on behalf of airlines.
- Advised regulatory authorities on various draft legislation in the aviation industry.
- Advised on aircraft and engine lease, sale and purchase transactions; negotiated terms; reviewed transactional documents; satisfied conditions precedent and registration matters for aircraft and engine deliveries; attended to legal issues in aircraft re-deliveries.